Saturday, September 8, 2007

Old Car and Classic Car Touring

I have been a car collector for 56 years, as of 2013, since I was 11. I always enjoyed the DRIVING of my cars, and the associated experiences. When I was 16, I fondly remember driving South on Harbor Blvd. or Beach Blvd. to go the beach, in Southern California. I remember stopping along the journey and getting a GREAT homemade burrito or a fantastic hamburger at a little place that had only one location. I also remember so well, leaving my employer, Disneyland (it was never a job or work), and driving to the South East corner of Harbor and Ball, to join other car collectors, and where I had THE BEST banana malt.

Fast forward to the 1970's when I was almost an adult, and had acquired a "collector car". Now car clubs existed without the aluminum plaques in the rear window. I joined CCCA, RROC, and PCA. TOURING became common. A day or weekend trip became routine, with folks that shared the same passion for "our" marque. Picnics became a time to enjoy simple food, each other, and discuss the minutiae of our marque.

By the late 70's I had developed a quirk: I would always dress in the same color, and same period as the car I was driving. I have photos to prove it!! If I changed cars-I changed clothes. Then I created a special picnic basket, for each car, consistent with the color and period. Some folks kidded me, and others, I think envied the STYLE. There was just one dilemma: the choice in cuisine. Kentucky fried chicken, El Pollo Loco, anything that required cold was relegated to the cheap styrafoam cooler. Can you relate to all of this? So, I was personally frustrated that I had UNIQUE cars, on special journeys, and was eating worse than when I was at home. SOMETHING is wrong!!

NOW I have discovered DINING, on my tours, my travels and even in my living room. I have discovered flavored oils; grapeseed and olive; as well as balsamic vinegar. Great with bread as an appetizer. The vinegars are great drizzled over watermelon or other fruits. Then there are pestos and tapenades. Super to enhance a tuna sandwich, pasta, or any chicken dish. The flavored salts and peppers are a must. The flavors explode on raw tomatoes. I found a complete selection of these gourmet quality products at The Posh Gourmet . They are all touring friendly. Additionally I found numerous recipes that will enhance a tour, as well as a special evening at home.

Lastly the accessories. I found a personal disconnect, driving my Pierce-Arrow, Cadillac, Royce, and having the cheap, common cooler. The Posh Gourmet has a fine selection of quality, insulated coolers with appropriate utensils for any picnic or tour, complete with decorative wine bottle stoppers and real cloth napkins.

Now I have it all: The motorcar, the long-time personal relationships, the accessories consistent with the event, including sartorial presence, and to really enhance the experience; exquisite dining accessories and cuisine. Along with the True Love of my life, Sandie, How could things be better?

No comments: