Thursday, August 30, 2007

Pre War Reproduction Lenses

About 1988, Irv Blonder asked me to look into making repro HL lenses, and another SO CAL chap to do the tail lenses, for Pierce Arrow. I started to gather data---learning that most of the front lenses were unique to Pierce. I started to gather part numbers. I learned that there were 46 different patterns for the front lenses, 1929 thru 1938. I ran ads asking about interest--demand: I got little feed back. I decided that glass was prohibitive--$5000-$10,000 per mold--plus production. I learned from IRV--that quality in ASIA--was poor--and long lead times. So I started to investigate polymers. I spent 2 years--trying 52 polymers--to meet all the criteria: clarity, correct size and optics, color stability, mold cost, production cost and proper EMQ. I spent 1900 hrs--in research. I had to create a correct part number list. I had to buy or borrow ORIGINAL patterns for molds. I had to learn mold making. Then I had to learn lense making. After over 2 years--of enthusiastic effort--I perfected a methamethacrylate. It has great optics, is UV stable, no shrink--reasonable cost--and low EMQ. So I made front lenses. There was some demand for 1933-34 M-B lenses (I have made about 30 pair)---very little demand for some (1929 McKee). I ended up making all front lenses--for all Pierce cars, from 1924 thru 1938.After about 15 years--the demand has stopped--so I ended the project. Some people were tire kickers--who might need them in the future--I decided this is not my lifes work--and I do not have the space to inventory molds and lenses. The project is over--most molds gone, a few lensesare left. During this process--the other chap decide not to make the tail lenses--so I stepped in to do that--.A completely different set of problems. Only 14 patterns, but 3 colors. There were no UV problems--but there were color matching---and finish concerns. Again I bought or borrowed ALL the rear lense patterns, and started to make molds. Then I started to work with the polymers, and dyes--to create a superior lense. The demand has waned, and now this project has ended. No more tail lenses to be made. A few remain. I also made lenses for other MARQUES--by request (CADILLAC LaSalle, PACKARD, CORD, Rolls Royce, DUESENBERG, BENTLEY). Thanks goes to alot of folks--for lending me priceless lenses--and trusting me--and to early collectors; who worked with me when I had clarity problems on early HL lenses. To those tire kickers--who would get back to me---or wanted to shop--I wish good fortune in finding rare items. If the lenses had been available--I would not have spent 8000 hours--over 25 years--doing this project. I only made items--that are UNAVAILABLE elsewhere.

No comments: